Friday, October 9, 2009

Has it Really Been a Month?

It's been a month since Brittney passed away. In some ways I seems like it was just yesterday that we were all gathered around the bed as she passed on, and in other ways it seems like it happened so long ago. The kids and I are starting to settle into somewhat of a routine each day. I don't think it's getting easier at all yet for us but I think we're starting to accept it better and the realness of it is starting to set in.

Unfortunately as life without Britt is becoming more of a reality for the kids and I, the loneliness of not having her here each day sets in a little more. Britt always loved to cuddle in the cold months of Fall and Winter. As it's gotten colder lately I've really missed that feeling of her snuggling up to me to keep warm. It's a lot of little things that really make me miss her. I can deal with not having her here for the Holidays (I hope), or vacations and things like that...Right now it's hard to deal with missing all of those little things. I keep hearing it will get better with time and I suppose some things will but I don't think I'll ever adjust to not having her here.

The kids have been a huge source of strength to me, especially lately. They believe with no hesitation that Britt is always somewhere close to us. Since she passed away we've started going to a Temple on Sunday afternoon and walking around the Temple grounds to feel close to Britt. The kids absolutely love being on the Temple grounds on these quiet Sunday afternoons. They are convinced Britt walks with us and I would like to think so as well. Our kids mirror Britt in so many ways. Anyone who knows my kids know how special they are. I'm so blessed to have them here with me still on this earth. Everyday I see them I'm assured that I'll get through these days no matter how hard they seem.

One thing I'll especially miss this October is Britt watching the playoffs with me. Every October since she was diagnosed with Cancer we've watched the Red Sox in the post season together. She never cared a whole lot about the game but she always did it because she knew how much I enjoyed it and how much I loved when she would sit down and watch a game with me. Last night was the first game of the playoffs, and no offense to my pal Jon who watched the game with me, but I definately felt the void of not having Britt there next to me to watch the Sox play. It's those little things that make us so happy. Good thing I still have 3 other little things that continue to make me happy......my kids. I love you Britt. I hope the weather is warmer where you are.

11 comments:

Diane said...

Hi Steve! I just wanted to say that I'm so glad you're keeping up Britt's blog. I always enjoyed reading her posts and seeing pictures of your family. I hope things start to get easier for you! Good luck in the playoffs!

Mindy said...

I know it would be those little things I'd miss too... I love that you go to the temple with your kids to "walk with Brittney". You have such a way with words, Steven.

Mindy said...

I was going to tell you that my cousin has gone through the experience of losing a spouse at a young age, too... she also writes beautifully, and from her heart. I don't know if it would help you to read or not, but if you would like to, her blog is http://leslieandaaron.blogspot.com/

T. Driaza said...

Thank you Steve for sharing your feelings, experience, and endurance. I too am happy you are keeping up with Britt's blog. It brings tears to my eyes every time, and I admire your family's strength & faith. I visit taught Britt for a few short months just right before the ward split last year. I didn't get to know her as well I would have liked, but she was amazingly kind. I loved hearing her testimony. I know she is so proud of your strength. God be with you all till you meet again. - Tiana

partypatt said...

Thanks for the post, Steven. I know Britt does walk with you and your children. She would never leave you without her love and presence. I cherish her memory and hope for all good things to come to you to help you through the time. Time does heal Steven...of course you never forget and never cease wishing it didn't happen but it time will bring you the comfort of acceptance and the lessening of the pain. Pat Bahr

partypatt said...

I must be tired...Imeant "help you through this time" and also "but in time". It must be Friday night!

Moffitt Fam said...

I just wanted to let you know that I think you keeping up on the blog is a wonderful idea! I have a few blogs I follow that are heart related and they have given me so much hope for Tyler and have also inspired me in so many ways! I know your blog will do the same for more people than you will ever know!

Jamie

Brittney Schmidt said...

Steven- I was so happy to see that you kept Brittney's blog going. I have been checking to hoping to hear how you are all doing! You have such a way with words It is amazing Brittney couldn't have left a better person in charge of the kids and making sure you all got back to her!I know she is with all of you she is so amazing and you and the kids were her life So I know she never strays far from you now. I would love to take the kids for a playdate or help in anyway possible. Please let me know what I can do. I love your family so much and Kennedi and Abi miss Harmony and Bryn They are asking about them all the time. We send all our love and prayers! Love Brittney Schmidt

Amy said...

Steve it's so great to hear how you are doing! I can't even begin to imagine what you and the kiddos are going through. I admire more than anything your strength and your dedication to your beautiful little angels. I love that your kids are so strong, it is because of you and Brit that they are. Please know we love you and are thinking of you. You are an inspiration of strength and faith, keep being the stong person you are okay.

Amanda said...

you are so amazingly strong Steven! You are such an inspiration to us!

Nathan and Jeanie Earl said...

All right neighbor! Sorry we have to hear about how things have been on your blog, but what inspirational and well said words!! We're thinking of you everyday and are always here to help in any way! Thanks for sharing your lives with us! Can't believe it's been a month either; way to stay Britt strong!!

Post a Comment