Saturday, November 28, 2009

The Polar Express

A few years ago Brittney & I took the girls on the Polar Express up in Heber City. They had a really good time and we had been wanting to take them again but every Christmas since that year Britt was doing chemo and so it wasn't very easy to get out and do it again. The night before Thanksgiving Grandma Nise surprised the kids with tickets for the Polar Express. They were pretty stoked to put on their pyjama's, ride a train and see Santa. It's not the cheapest thing to take your kids to do in the winter, but it's definately something they will remember.

The kids and I survived our first Thanksgiving without Britt. Before we headed over to Bart & Renae's to eat the kids and I stopped by the cemetery to wish Britt a Happy Thanksgiving. It was extremely noticeable and empty without her here this year but it was nice to have all of our family around to help us through the day. I think for the most part the kids are getting use to Britt not being around. Life seems to be normal to them now. As for me, her being gone is painfully obvious everyday especially since we are in the Holiday season and all three of the kids birthday's are coming up.



Tonight the kids and I did what I have been dreading the most since Britt passed away...decorate the house for Christmas. Every year decorating the house was one of the things Britt and I looked forward to the most. We'd pull out all of the Christmas boxes, get some pizza, put on Christmas music and spend the rest of the evening with the kids decorating the house. This has always been my favorite part of Christmas. As I pulled the boxes down tonight I was not wanting to unpack them...partly because Britt always packs the boxes up after Christmas and I have no idea how she makes everything fit back in them...but mainly I just didn't want to look around the house and not see her putting the stockings up. Britt's favorite thing to put up each year is her Nativity sets. A few years ago she got one of the Willow Tree Nativity sets and she absolutely loved it. In fact it usually never came down until around April because she loved having it up so much. Each year she unpacks each piece from its box and is very careful in arranging the scene. It was the one thing I didn't want to pull out tonight but I knew it wouldn't feel right if I left it put away. I got the sense that the kids missed Britt a little more tonight when I pulled the Nativity out. Luckily I had Harmony to help me put it up and arrange the pieces right.


Now if I could only fast forward to March or April and skip the next few months that would be fantastic.....Happy Holidays Britt...we love and miss you.


7 comments:

Amy said...

Hey you, I can't even imagine how hard that would have been to do the decorating, but way to be strong and do it anyways, I know it was hard but I'm proud of you for doing it. Love the polar express pics, looks like tons of fun!

partypatt said...

Wow, Steve, you did a great job helping the kids decorate. I'm sure you're glad that is behind you. I hope you can find some happiness this Christmas despite missing Brittney so much. I am thinking of you and the children.

Doney Days said...

The decorating looks great! I know this next month is going to be tough. Be sure surround yourself with loved ones!

Our Ohana said...

This is why I don't have Christmas decorations up yet - I'm NOT looking forward to doing it alone. Glad you were able to get through it though!!

Becky said...

The decorations look great. I pray that you will be filled with peace and hope this month. You are truly watched over and loved, as you know so are your beautiful children.

Katie Parker said...

Steven, you are one strong individual. That is why Britt chose you to be her lifelong partner. You are doing a wonderful job with your children. I can't even imagine what you are going through, but I know you are blessed with an awesome outlook of family and friends. Hopefully your holidays will pass pleasantly and flawlessly. :)

Natalie said...

Brittney would be proud! The house looks wonderful. You are great Steven!

Post a Comment