Saturday, November 7, 2009

Fall, Fall, Fall

It's been 8.5 weeks now since Britt passed away. The kids and I have been trying to keep as busy as we can, and honestly time is passing by pretty quick which is nice. Each day we seem to adjust a little more to life without her, unfortunately for me that doesn't mean it gets any easier. Dinner time doesn't seem quite so odd anymore and I suppose it will seem more and more normal with just the four of us as time goes on. The kids still ask lots of questions about their mom but they know she's close. For the last five weeks the kids have been begging to go up to Bridal Veil Falls and ride their bike along the trail...we usually go up there in the fall to enjoy the changing leaves. We finally made it up there today and the kids absolutely loved it.

On our way back home we decided to stop by the cemetery. It was the first time we've been out there together since the funeral which was eight weeks ago today. I think we were all a little uncomfortable when we saw her headstone. It's such a surreal experience to actually see her name on the headstone staring back at you. In a lot of ways it still doesn't seem real. I guess people are right when they say time heals the pain, but time definately doesn't heal the loneliness. If anything I'm finding time makes that worse. The kids and I have become a much closer family in these last several weeks and they are really helping me get through the days. Last night I was upstairs reading and they were downstairs watching a movie. At one point all three of them started laughing hysterically. I can't remember the last time I've heard them laugh like that but it was such a great thing to hear. These three kids of ours are so incredibly strong. I look at them everyday and know I can get through the day because of them. It's weird being a single dad of three kids. Now that we have a routine established it can get a little overwhelming to try and do everything for them that they need. So far they haven't complained too much so I guess I'm at least meeting their basic needs. One of the more amazing things I've seen lately is how close they have seemed to get to each other. They still fight and argue here and there, but there is a willingness in each one of them to help one another when they sense the other one having a tough time. My kids are seriously so fantastic. It really is like Britt was split into thirds and Harmony, Brynn, & Boston were created from those parts...they are absolutely their mother...unfortuntately for me they are going to be just as good looking as their mother and that scares the crap out of me.


Halloween - Harmony & Brynn were Gabriella & Sharpay from High School Musical, Boston was a Red Sox player.

The MLB playoffs caused Boston to hit the bottle a litte this year...poor kid.

Don't worry...it was only Apple Beer.




See what I'm talking about...I'm in big trouble.


To most people this picture is nothing special...for those that know my kids and know how terrified they are of ANY animal, know how amazing this picture is.












The Kids at Cornbelly's.




The kids at Squaw Peak.


Bridal Veil Falls.










9 comments:

Renee said...

What great pictures! It looks like you enjoyed a beautiful fall day together. How fitting that Boston was a Boston Red Sox player for Halloween...too cute!

The Oylers said...

You do have cute kids...and I am sure you are doing a wonderful job with them.

partypatt said...

Thank you for the great post. I think of you and the children often. I see Brittney in each child but also you. You are an awesome man to be able to carry on in spite of the grief I know you feel. We all hope to see you at Learning Dynamics when Boston turns 3.

Natalie said...

I love the post. It's true that your kids are so much like Brittney - and you. That's so great!!! You are a great dad!

Amanda said...

I love the pictures Steven. I love reading your updates. . .you sure have cute kids, that's for sure. They're lucky to have such a great dad!

Amy said...

Steven, LOVE all the pics! The kids look so so adorable, and yes you have your hands full when Brynn and Harmony get older, what beautiful girls. And we already know who Boston's girlfriend is, hee hee!

Hey, Jake has really enjoyed hanging out with you, you really are such an inspiration to us both. Know we are always thinking of you!

Chelsea Gallaway said...

You're doing great Steven! So proud of you!

Doney Days said...

Steven, I'm so happy to see you're keeping the family blog going! You are such an amazing dad!

Heather Doney

Nathan and Jeanie Earl said...

...and a good photographer too! Love the cool pics at Bridal Veils! Hope you're all doing well inside with the cold. Sorry we don't venture out much over there; but still here to help in anyway when you need us! Always thinking of y'all!

Post a Comment